Monday, October 09, 2006

Full Moon

Yep, I looked out the car window Friday night, saw a beautiful, full moon in the sky. Quite romantic, unless... you're a surfer! Yeah, the moon screwed up the tides. We had a 6 ft. plus high tide in the morning on Saturday. Since I had to bring in my car at 12pm to the body shop, that meant an early morning session was in order, only that the tide would be screwing things up. I skipped out on Saturday morning. Ah well.

I picked up my wonderful *cough* Ford Fusion 4 door from the rental car place. (Off topic, but some lady was complaining that the only Mercedes they had available for rent was a C Class. The cost per day was $150, which she didn't balk at, just that it was a C Class when her regular car was an S Class. Then she was considering the Nissan Murano for $110. No clue why. Clearly she didn't need the big car.) The thing had fold down seats in the back, but didn't fold enough that I could fit even my 7 footer inside. I had to put the board through the passenger side from door, angled into the back seat.

Got to the break by 7, hoping that there'd be something rideable on the smallest board in my quiver. Guess what? It was fun! I caught a bunch of rights that were fun. There was some zip to the wave, even though there wasn't supposed to be a swell. I stayed high as I could on each wave, so that I can get the speed to make the sections. I still don't roller coaster enough, but I'm getting there. It's only a matter of time. I have concluded that I bought that hybrid about 2 years too soon. I feel comfortable on it these days, not like before. It still freaks me out when i eat it. I get flashbacks of 2003 when that thing came boomeranging back to my mug. Not a pleasant memory.

I tried to catch a few lefts, but ate it each time. One I just slipped and then got caught by the lip. Another, I pig dogged it left and pulled a little too hard on the outside rail and ended up into the wave. I was covered for my third left, but didn't bobbled the pop up, which sent me into the wash. After that, it was all rights till the last wave of the day. I caught a left, even got up and rode it all the wave to the showers. Yes, the tide was a 7 footer or something close to it on Sunday. Funny thing was that there were still some fun waves coming through, if you were willing to wait the 15 or 20 minutes or so before one of them showed up.

The crowd has definitely thinned out, more to my liking. The water has started its plunge towards the 50s, but still keeping in the 60s. Can't wait to get my own car back this week, but I'll still be bringing the smaller board out. I wish I had a bit more cash to buy a super nice wetsuit. I'm starting to feel the chill a bit more.

2 Comments:

Blogger dave rich said...

When it gets steep and fast, I have a tendancy to pigdog as well when I go left. My popup to that side is naturally slower and weaker, and I need to work on that. God knows i blew a perfect day at the perfect spot by myself with 4 other friends t a secret spot in Mexico, all because of it being a "left". And yea, full moons sucks!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Funny thing about me going left. 3 years ago, that was my favored direction. I used to always go backside. At some point, I started making it a point of going right to break me of that habit. Did too good of a job. Now I prefer rights.

At least this weekend's tide should be back to normal.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Clerks II - July 21, 2006