Sunday, January 28, 2007

Where are the icebergs?

Good morning campers, better bundle up because it's freezing out there! The first time I've been surfing in weeks and winter has set upon us. The water is chilly, but so is the air temp.

I didn't think the waves were going to be that great after checking out the surf forecast. What do you know, the waves were just right for me, at least, just right after such a long break. I caught a bunch of rights. They were fun. It was a dry hair paddle out, but after that first dunking of the head, you get used to it. Hoodies are sort of tempting now. A friend just bought one and it looked like it was going to do the trick to cut down on the brain freezes.

Today (Sunday) looked really bad. High tide was early on, but it was fairly high. Got to the beach at 8 and just hung out till the tide dropped a bit. In fact, the tide was pretty low, but it just wasn't breaking. There were 3 people out where we normally paddle out and they were catching nothing. Even broken waves fizzled. The sandy bottom must be really screwed up.

By the time we paddled out, the three people who were initially in there had had enough of the cold and paddled in.

They missed out on some fun waves, both left and right. They weren't that big, but there were a few that had some zip to them. The waves just kept getting better as the time passed. I caught a bunch going left and right. I've been working on bending my knees more and was crouched down. It was a fun! The size dropped down from Saturday, but still fun waves out there. It was a shame that I had to go run errands or I would have stayed out there a lot longer.

There are supposed to be some nice surf spots in Cancun, but don't go around January because it's all blown out. I just body surfed some 4-5 ft waves that were all choppy. I wonder how big they'd be if there wasn't such a strong onshore wind blowing. The water is crystal clear. However, the water tasted saltier and it definitely burned my eyes and sinuses. It wasn't pleasant. Every time I ducked under, things just burned. That part sucked, but warmth was nice.

Back into the groove.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Clerks II - July 21, 2006