Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Causing Trouble

Yep, that's me, troublemaker. The waves were about 2-3 ft on Sunday and I knew it so I brought out the Peter, aka 9'2 noserider. Perfect board for those conditions, caught a ton of rights on Sunday. The sun was shining, the water was green, the bathrooms were tagged with graffiti (not even the artistic type), and the sand was peppered with litter from all the people who show up in the summer. (I loathe you people by the way because you trash the beaches. There are trashcans everywhere and the state even went so far as to replace the old metal ones with plastic ones. Use them!)

There wasn't much of a drift earlier in the morning, but sure enough, the home break did not disappoint and started sending people farther north. Good for me cause if I just kept catching rights (regular footed), then the people clustered around me on the outside would be farther down the break when I got back out again. I did this a few times just to get out of the crowd. There were quite a few people, but not unmanageable.

However, I did get a few dirty looks. The first one was from some shortboarder who wasn't even in the water that long. I caught a wave, rode it in to the inside and was starting to go back out when this guy was paddling for a wave. He's on a shortboard, on a 2 footer, and trying to catch a wave his buddy was already kicking out of. He could only go straight cause by the time he got up, there was no shoulder, left or right and the wave barely had enough power to push him straight. He saw me in his path, so he bailed out within 2 seconds of getting up. I shrugged, paddled out and saw him look my way and say something to his buddy. Thems the breaks son! There were more waves to be caught, but I don't think that guy was good enough to catch them on his shortboard at a beach break in waist high waves.

The other dirty look was totally my fault. A wave came my way, I turned and started to paddle for it, there was another guy who was to my left, but he didn't call out or anything. I should have stopped, but figured there was enough space between us. I got up, turned right immediately, started going down the line before the wave closed out. I kicked out, looked back, and the guy was still roughly 10 yards behind me and he just kicked out. I apologized to him and paddled farther south to get out of his way. He seemed nice enough, but I'm sure he was cursing my name. Ah well. Live and learn. There isn't much of a swell this week at all, so it'll be the Peter that will be making its way out to the home break over Toothbreak (7'0), the Creamsicle (7'3), or the Twinkie (7'11). If you see the boards, you'd understand, except for Toothbreak. That board was named for what it did :P

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That happens all the time (the second bad look)... it doesn't sound like a big deal; and even if you totally kooked out on his wave, you apologized. Plus waist high waves... I mean it just happens to everyone.

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Clerks II - July 21, 2006