Monday, June 05, 2006

San Onofre Wonders

Pull off on Basilone Rd, head west, stay in the right lane. and you'll come up to a sign that says "Surf Beach." It's right next to the Nuclear power plants on the border of Orange County and San Diego County. If you have never gone and you long board, then you're seriously doing yourself a huge disservice.

Make sure of three things before going there during these upcoming summer months:
1. Check to see that there's a swell when you plan on going there.
2. Get there early cause there's only a limited number of parking spaces (more on this later).
3. Invest in some booties cause walking out and walking in over rocks hurts!


I got there at 6:30, which is just under the gun in terms of finding a decent spot on the south side. The sky was a bit over cast, so I suited up and paddled out. The water was warm! Walking out, I was reminded how painful that part was. It's a great place to learn to surf, if the person learning has booties and can deal with the shiatsu massage your feet get. The paddle out to the outside took awhile. It's a long, long paddle, but the waves don't punish you as they break on you.

The waves were perfect. 3 - 5 foot waves rolling through, pretty consistently, too. I caught my fair share of waves during the morning session. Stayed out there over 3 hours and just kept catching waves. The big ones were loads of fun and you can take off late. It's as if they want you to take your time and figure out how best to enjoy them. Even when you pop up, there's a ton of time for you to make your bottom turn and cut back to the curl of the wave. I couldn't imagine a better day than that day.

The afternoon session was good, but not as good. The winds picked up, giving the surface a bit of a texture. It wasn't long before my arms gave out on me that I just couldn't paddle anymore. I caught one more wave then called it a day.

Sunday was back to the home break and it was just crowded. I can't believe the absolute zoo I found out there. What gives? These people were in wetsuits and yet weren't around during the winter months. They come out during the summer months and start dropping in on people. I only caught a handful of waves and then just left after an hour. That was cause my shoulders were toast from the day before.

I wish everyday could be like Saturday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Clerks II - July 21, 2006