Monday, September 01, 2008

Helping out newbies

My cousin wanted to learn how to surf or at least experience it. He chose a good day for it, since the Surfline report said it was only going to be 1 - 3 ft. and it was pretty much just that.

I brought out my big board for him and his girlfriend to try out. A 9'2 board helps to catch waves for people not used to paddling for waves.

Have to say, my cousin did pretty well for his first time out. He didn't try to stand up on any waves, but was able to paddle into the waves by himself. All I did was turn him around once he got onto the board.

When he was done, I paddled out on my little board and sure enough, the waves died down. I still caught some fun waves, a really fun right (which I almost screwed up) and a zippy left. On that left, I tried to get covered up, but it didn't quite work out that way. I just stayed very, very close to the curl, in a pig dog position without getting the bonus payoff I wanted, but I still got a great ride out of it.

I've been working out these days and it's been helping out with the paddling and catching waves. Am totally enjoying the benefits of the hard work in the water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Clerks II - July 21, 2006