Monday, August 27, 2007

The Art of Going Straight

The day trip was postponed due to lack fo swell. It would have been a waste of time and gas to drive down to San Diego to find nothing ot surf or very little to surf.

We stayed at the home break, except we went over to where the crowds were, again. I'm not that crazy about it. I'll surf there on weekdays, if I get a chance, but I think that's the last weekend I surf there, ever. It was just crowded. There's also a well-known surf school there, so there will no doubt be some buoys to slalom through on the inside section.

I got wet, caught a few waves, and just went straight. That was all I could do, not because of other people, but because the wave didn't permit me much else. I'm not a great rail-to-rail surfer to begin with, so riding small waves on a 7' is a bit tough for me. I'm used to long, lazy lines you do on a funboard or longboard. I just don't have the twist and snaps like a true shortboarder does. Ah well, just something else to practice. A bigger swell would help in that development.

Water was warmer than the air temperature. The slight breeze and long sets didn't help. Water was at least clear, but the skies were overcast. Swell was broken up, so the waist to chest high forecast earlier in the week were not meant to be.

Does everyone have preferences on their wax? I'm more of a Sticky Bumps person. Like the smell and the way it applies itself onto the board. I know some people like Sex Wax, but it wasn't for me. I need wax with a clear purpose. Sex Wax can be top coat or base coat depending on the temp rating or something like that? It's too confusing. Need something simple like Sticky Bumps. Basecoat is for basecoat. Then you have Warm, Cool, Cold wax with different temperature ranges. Makes it nice and easy. Can't even imagine wax for anything warmer than 73 degrees. Friend said that wax was as hard as chalk.

Next week, day trip, maybe?

2 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

I'm currently testing out a few different types of organic surf waxes. They all seem to be more or less the same so far (basically a blend of beeswax, coconut oil, and tree sap, and sometimes clay). Smells delicious!

I will be making my own wax soon (once I get a good benchmark of how the stuff is supposed to turn out...more testing required). I'll be writing here and there about my surfwax adventures. So far, the organic stuff is stickier, but doesn't stay on the board as well (if that makes any sense).

9:50 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Wow, that's pretty cool that you'll be making your own wax. I'm too lazy.

I have met people who are so into surfing that they tried to shape their own boards, back when foam was more readily available. I wish I had the initiative to try that out, but never did. Ah well... I'll just contribute to surf economy.

Let me know how your wax turns out.

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Clerks II - July 21, 2006